As you surely know, the reignition of Dr. Martin Luther King’s Poor People’s Campaign, led by Bishop William Barber II, is fully engaged in highlighting the extreme condition of poverty in our country, and the inherent oppressive laws in our country that foster it.
On May 14th, one of the largest multi-state organizing campaigns since the 1970s will be organized.
Due to the Islamic convictions of peace, justice, and compassion, we feel that this intersectional, multifaith movement would be incomplete without the involvement of our Muslim family.
The Muslim commitment to social activism is invaluable in supporting the most vulnerable in our society.
We are calling on organizations of moral consciousness to stand in solidarity with those most affected by systematic causes of poverty and oppression as they speak out to our policy makers in their state capitols.
We would be honored if you and/or the Islamic Seminary would sign on, insha’Allah.
This may be the first that you are hearing about this campaign, or maybe you have heard from this campaign already.
Regardless, this is now the time to officially join.
We sincerely hope you can join this week!
Would you please review the attached information below regarding our upcoming campaign?
Major events are happening in May. We need turnout. There will be thousands of people engaged at most state capitols.
Week 1 – May 13-19
Somebody is Hurting Our People and Its Gone on Far Too Long – Women, Youth, the Disabled, and Children in Poverty and the Right to Education
Week 2 – May 20-26
Connecting Systemic Racism and Economic Justice – Voting Rights and Just Immigration
Week 3 – May 27-June 2
Veterans, Our War Economy, and Militarism
Week 4 – June 3-9
The right to health – Ecology, Justice and Health – Water, Extreme Extraction, Climate Change, Health Care
Week 5 – June 10-16
Everybody’s Got a Right to Live – Living Wages, Guaranteed Income, Housing and Social Services
Week 6 – June 17-23
A New and Unsettling Force challenging Our Nation’s Distorted Moral Narrative – a Fusion Movement Rising Up
Pledge for Endorsement
- Endorse the campaign and if possible send one of your organizational leaders to DC on May 14th
- Mobilize your organizations to participate in grassroots organizational efforts and at their state capitols
- Add information or links to the Poor People’s Campaign on your website or eblasts
- Discuss issues and themes of the week at mosques during Friday khutbas, children’s classes and youth groups, halaqa classes
- Follow along on your social media, weekly newsletters and tell your community or members the theme of the week, and encourage participation, i.e.: Green Ramadan, Soup Kitchens, Voter Registration Drives
- Help with serving food, phone banking, etc. to those who are organizing or participating in mobilizing efforts
- Make special du’as for the campaign during nightly prayers, tarawih during Ramadan, or on the Night of Power.
Please contact MPF if you have any questions.
Salaams and Blessings,
Rabia and Sahar